All too often, treasure seems to be the major incentive for PCs to complete missions and quests in fantasy role playing games. So what about something else just as beneficial?
Here’s some ideas for things that are just as useful as mo money, that could be offered as alternative rewards for jobs:
- An ongoing discount at particular traders, armourers and weaponsmiths around town.
- Elite access to the local Sages’ Guild and their libraries for access to rare knowledge and information.
- The best horses money can buy and free stables in any town they travel to.
- Alchemical or magical formulas for crafting rare magic items.
- A ship and crew.
- A letter of marque from the local king, lord or mayor that can be used by the PCs to get audiences with important nobles and privileged circles of people.
- Free travel on stage coaches anywhere in the country.
- Access to safe houses in multiple major cities.
- Noble titles and estates, making the PCs part of the ruling elite.
- Access to street-level networks of messengers and informers, providing an unparalleled information and rumour network in a major city.
Of course, some players will still prefer a chest of gold pieces. Some habits are hard to break.
For more Laidback DM, click here.
For Laidback DM products, in print/PDF/digital, visit https://www.drivethrurpg.com/m/browser/publisher/13989.