See what I did there? Okay, well it sounded funny at the time*.
I have been lying in bed recovering from my torn calf for the last week and a half (grrrrr…). Being the fitness-addicted idiot that I am, I decided that it was time to get back to exercising before I went stir crazy. Here is the routine I worked out to ease myself back into the big stuff:
- 3 sets of sit ups (40 reps per set) – core/abs
- 3 sets of push ups (15 reps per set) – chest/arms
- 3 sets of bicep curls (10 reps per set) – upper arms
- 3 sets of tricep extensions (10 reps per set) – triceps
- 3 sets of dips (10 reps per set) – chest/triceps
- 3 sets of bent over rows (10 reps per set) – back (make sure you are supported so there’s no weight on the offending leg)
- 3 sets of pull ups (10 reps per set) – back
I do warm ups/stretching before starting. You will note this is all upper body (I’m a fitness idiot, but I’m not stupid). Avoid leg work for a few weeks (if you regularly work out you will know it is an in-joke that most gym heads avoid leg work like the plague, so it shouldn’t be too hard…). Remember: If you have a torn calf, do NOT stretch your calf unnecessarily while exercising – you risk tearing it again. If you feel any strain on said calf (it will ‘moo’ at you – just kidding), cease and desist immediately.
This work out is pretty easy considering what I did prior to my injury (you can check out some of my workouts here), but I’m taking it slow to start with.
Ahhhhhhh…I’m feeling better already (the calf’s not, but you know what I mean).
Health Warning: I’m not a doctor (despite past girlfriends assuming I was a gynecologist), so if you aren’t used to training, or if you have torn your calf, make sure you consult with a real doctor (no, not your workout buddy at the gym) before attempting any new training routine.
* Didn’t get the reference? Do yourself a favour and check out ‘Cows with Guns’ below: